The Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
If you're a fan of classic cocktails, the Old Fashioned is a must-try. This timeless drink is known for its simplicity and balanced flavors. Dating back to the early 19th century, the Old Fashioned has stood the test of time and remains a favorite among cocktail enthusiasts.
To make an Old Fashioned, you will need a few basic ingredients. Start with a good quality bourbon or rye whiskey. The whiskey should be the star of this drink, so it's important to choose one that you enjoy. You'll also need some sugar, preferably in the form of simple syrup, and a few dashes of aromatic bitters. Lastly, don't forget the ice and garnish, typically an orange twist or cherry.
- In an Old Fashioned glass, add a sugar cube or half an ounce of simple syrup.
- Add a few dashes of aromatic bitters to the glass.
- Muddle the sugar and bitters together until they are well combined.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Pour in two ounces of your chosen whiskey.
- Stir the drink gently for about 30 seconds to properly dilute and chill it.
- Garnish with an orange twist or cherry.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Old Fashioned is best enjoyed slowly, savoring the flavors as they meld together. It's a drink that celebrates the simplicity of good whiskey and enhances it with just the right amount of sweetness and bitterness. Whether you're a seasoned cocktail enthusiast or new to mixology, the Old Fashioned is a cocktail that should be in your repertoire. Give it a try and experience a classic drink that never goes out of style.